Crockpot Breakfast Casserole

I hate making breakfast in the mornings. I am tired and would rather just sit on the couch. This is the perfect solution. Throw it all together the night before, wake up and eat! The original recipe (found HERE) called for 12 eggs, but I knew we would have way too many leftovers so I cut down on them, plus I made a few other small changes based on what I did or didn't have. I haven't tried it the original way, but this way is definitely a keeper!



INGREDIENTS:
32 oz bag frozen hash browns
10 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 Tablespoon dried chopped onion
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup shredded cheddar
3/4 cup shredded monterey jack
7 eggs
1 cup milk
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried dill
salt and pepper (I didn't measure these, just used what I thought looked good)




DIRECTIONS:
Spray crockpot evenly with cooking spray. 
Pour half of the hashbrowns into crock pot, followed by half of the bacon, onion, bell pepper, and cheese. Repeat layers.
Mix eggs, milk, garlic, dill, salt and pepper in large bowl. Pour evenly over top of ingredients in crock pot.
Cook on low for about 8 hours (thermometer placed in center should reach 160F when done).

NOTES:
I have also made this using 2 bags of real bacon bits (they come in a zip lock 3 oz bag) instead of taking the time to actually cook up some bacon. Much easier and tastes just as delicious!


11 comments:

  1. what size crockpot did you use? I would love to try this recipe but can't tell from the picture the size of the crockpot :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it is a 5 or 6 quart. I'm on vacation right now and won't be home for about 2 weeks, but I will check when I get back! There was plenty of extra room in it, so I would guess a smaller one would work too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many people did it serve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending on the serving size, I would say probably 5-7. It is very filling so a little goes a long way.

      Delete
  4. Do you know if this freezes well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry but I don't, I have never tried. My first thought is it would get pretty mushy, but I honestly don't know. If you try it, please share with me how well it works! :)

      Delete
    2. i use this to make my kids breakfast burritos.. i make the burritos then put the extras in the freezer we take them out when needed... they love them...

      Delete
  5. I don't have frozen hash, how do you think I should go about using real potato?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could help, but I don't know. I have never used real potatoes in a crockpot. Sorry!

      Delete
  6. Do you normally saute the onions/garlic/peppers before adding to the crockpot, as it states in the original recipe? I went to the trouble to do so, thinking they could use the extra tenderness and flavor, but wondering if that is really necessary. It's currently in my crockpot for "breakfast dinner" tonight, so I don't know yet how mine turned out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it took me a bit to reply, I just now saw it!

      I didn't saute them since I did the dry onion flakes and I mixed the garlic in with the eggs. It cooks long enough that I didn't find it necessary for the pepper.

      Hope yours turned out!

      Delete